Jamaica is a Caribbean island with lush mountains, rainforests and reefs. And has many ports of its own. Among the major ports are Montego Bay, Montenegro Bay, Kingston, St. Thomas and Montenegro.
What are the most common services for shipping to Jamaica?
If you want to ship your cargo from China to Jamaica, there are many ways to do so.
Almost all common shipping service providers can deliver from China to Jamaica.
There are two main methods of shipping to Jamaica, one is by sea freight and the other by air freight.
There is also express shipping. DHL, UPS, FedEx, USPS, and China Post all of these freight forwarders can help you ship any cargo from China to Jamaica while taking into account all the necessary steps.
These will be discussed further later.
Pros and cons of using air freight from China to Jamaica
- Air shipments from China to Jamaica take an average of 3 to 7 days to reach their destination.
- Urgent products can be delivered from China to Jamaica by air with ease.
- Air freight is more reliable.
- It can be easily tracked.
- When you use air freight, the risk of shipping to Jamaica is low.
- High shipping costs for air freight from China to Jamaica.
- Air freight is very weather dependent and can sometimes be problematic.
- There are restrictions on size and weight when shipping by air from China to Jamaica.
How long does it take to ship by air freight from China to Jamaica?
Air freight usually takes on average 3 to 7 days to reach its destination, either by express or door to door service.
However, if we count from the arranged day to the different other procedures for shipping the product from China to Jamaica, it can take much longer.
What is the weight limit when shipping cargoes by air freight from China to Jamaica?
The maximum weight to be transported by air from China or any Jamaican freight forwarder depends on the type of aircraft provided by the company.
For general cargo, you can use passenger or regular cargo planes that usually charge by kilogram (or pound).
But each aircraft has its own limitations.
So far, the maximum payload of a cargo plane is 25 tons. Therefore, if the cargo cannot fit into the aircraft's pallets, it cannot be transported by air.
How do I calculate the cost of air freight from China to Jamaica?
Typically, air freight is estimated based on the chargeable weight of the cargo.
The chargeable weight applicable to the shipment is the actual weight or the volumetric weight, whichever is greater.
First, we must measure the actual volume of the cargo, i.e. length x height x width, and then multiply the result by 167.
Secondly, if the volumetric weight is greater than the actual weight, air freight will be charged.
Thus, we can calculate the cost of shipping by air from China to Jamaica.
Pros and cons of using sea freight from China to Jamaica
- The cost of shipping to Jamaica is cheaper than air freight.
- If you ship your cargo by sea, there are no such restrictions on size and weight compared to air freight.
- Shipping cargoes by sea from China to Jamaica requires more paperwork.
- If you ship by sea, it takes a lot of time for the cargo to reach its destination, about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Although it is less expensive to ship products from China to Jamaica by sea, it requires additional brokerage costs such as different fees, duties, taxes, etc.
How long does it take to ship by sea freight from China to Jamaica?
In general, shipping to Jamaica by sea takes about 15 to 30 days.
This may take more or less.
Therefore, shipping services can even deliver your product in 7 to 10 days.
However, you must double check every detail of the freight forwarder you entrust your product to in order to get the best type of service.
What are the main differences between air cargo and sea cargo shipped from China to Jamaica?
The main differences between air freight and sea freight shipments from China to Jamaica are as follows.
- Sea freight cargo takes more time to reach its destination than air freight cargo.
- Freight costs for air cargo are higher than for sea cargo.
- Sea cargo shipments require a different documentation process, which takes too long than air cargo shipments.
- There are certain restrictions on the weight and size of the product depending on the type of aircraft used by the shipper when shipping by air from China to Jamaica, which is not the case with ocean freight.
How long does it take to ship cargo from China to Jamaica using express shipping?
The time also depends on the freight forwarder you choose, your level of urgency, and your affordability.
However, the average timelines are as follows.
DHL Express expects to deliver your cargo within 3 to 6 days.
UPS Express expects to deliver your cargo in 8 to 12 days and 3 to 5 days depending on your urgency.
FedEx Express expects to deliver your cargo within 5 to 8 days.
China Post Express expects to deliver your cargo within 16 to 30 days.
Customs clearance for shipments from China to Jamaica
Customs clearance is mainly done by customs officials.
First, a commercial invoice for the product must be provided, as well as a packing list and CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight).
Secondly, the person who receives the product must clear customs.
If you are the buyer, it is your responsibility to pay the customs fees and to complete the required procedures.
In addition, your freight forwarder can help you through the process.
How long does it take to clear customs when shipping to Jamaica?
It all depends on the way they consider your cargo.
The average time for customs clearance is 24 to 48 hours.
However, if your cargo is detained by customs, then it may take longer.
What documents are required for shipping to Jamaica?
Exporters must pay close attention to documentation requirements and ensure that all required documents are filled out carefully to avoid delays or large fines when clearing cargoes through customs.
- Shipping documents, such as a bill of lading or air waybill.
- Genuine invoice from the supplier.
- Import license or permit (if applicable).
- A copy of the Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC), Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN) and General Consumption Tax (GCT) certificate.
- Original Certificate of Origin if the cargoes are imported from a country that has a trade agreement with Jamaica and is claiming preferential tariff treatment.
All countries in the world have some prohibitions on the import of some cargoes, and so does Jamaica.
There is an absolute ban on the entry of prohibited items into Jamaica, some of which include:
- Indecent and obscene prints
- Indecent and obscene printed matter, paintings, photographs, motion picture films, lithographs, prints, books, cards or written communications or any or obscene matter, whether or not similar to the above, and any parcel, package or parcel, or its cover, with any writing, mark or design which is grossly offensive or has indecent or obscene characteristics.
- Coin-base or counterfeit coin of any country.
- All publications published in the United States of America by de Laurence Scott and Company of Chicago relating to divination, magic, cults or supernatural arts.
Remember, if you have questions about whether a package is safe or legal to ship, be sure to consult with one of our professionals.
If you want to start your own business journey, but are not sure what to do next, please send a message.
We will be happy to help you and teach you the fundamentals and details of importing, because our success is directly related to yours.